The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, MD
Residency, Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Fellowship, Pediatric Heart Surgery, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Charles Fraser, Jr., MD, is a board-certified congenital heart surgeon and serves as both the Executive Director of the Institute for Cardiovascular Health and the Chief of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery for the Texas Center for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease, a clinical partnership between Dell Children’s Medical Center and UT Health Austin. He specializes in the surgical treatment of infants, children, and adults with congenital cardiac disease, with emphasis on complex neonatal repairs of serious cardiac malformations. Additionally, Dr. Fraser is a professor in both the Dell Medical School Department of Pediatrics and the Dell Medical School Department of Surgery and Perioperative Care. He also serves as the Executive Director of the Cardiovascular Health Institute, a collaboration between Ascension Texas and The University of Texas at Austin.
Dr. Fraser earned his medical degree from The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. He completed a residency in surgery at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and a fellowship in pediatric heart surgery at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia. He has developed dedicated programs in pediatric cardiac anesthesiology, perfusion, and cardiopulmonary transplantation and is a longstanding advocate of public reporting of surgical outcomes and transparency.
Dr. Fraser has over 300 peer-reviewed publications. He implanted the world’s first DeBakey Child™ Cardiac assist device and served as the National Principal Investigator of a first ever, pivotal, multi-center pediatric ventricular assist device trial to assess the safety and benefits of the Berlin Heart Pediatric EXCOR® device. This study culminated in device approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is the first, and currently only, device approved for durable mechanical circulatory support in small children and babies.
Dr. Fraser is a pediatric congenital heart surgeon with UT Health Austin.
- Arterial switch
- Atrioventricular canal defect repair
- Blalock-Taussag shunt
- Coarctation of the aorta repair
- Double-switch procedures
- Fontan procedure
- Norwood operation
- Patent ductus arteriosus ligation
- Rastelli procedure
- Repair of anomalous coronary artery
- Ross procedure
- Tetralogy of Fallot repair
- American Board of Surgery, Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Congenital Cardiac Surgery
Awards & Honors
- American Heart Association Medical Honoree
- Austin Monthly Top Doctor
- Distinguished Alumni Award, The University of Texas at Austin
- Inspiration Award, Southern Thoracic Surgical Society
- Michael E. DeBakey Distinguished Service Award, Baylor College of Medicine
- Outstanding Young Alumnus Award, The University of Texas at Austin